Thursday, April 2, 2015

What I Want From Ted Cruz

I'm an average, everyday guy. I wake up, get in the car, drive 45 minutes to work and stare at a screen all day. Then I come home, appreciate my family, futz about, and stare at a different screen 'til I fall asleep. Over and over and over, like a million other me's.

I'm Citizen X. Nobody. I've no expectation of my perspective mattering.

It matters to me, of course. I've worked hard and sacrificed. I've honored my god, cherished my family and respected the law. I served.

I can't help but wonder what is happening to my country, though. It's been one shitstorm after the next and no one seems willing or able to do anything about it. Fundamental Transformation. Solyndra. Fast and Furious. AP spying. Benghazi. IRS targeting. Bergdahl. NSA. If I like my country, I can keep my country.

My government tells me that things have never been better and not a lick of it is their fault. Between Telepromptorus I and that quirky tech start-up known as the State Department, I expect the entire apparatus to do nothing but break the law and then lie to me about it. If only one thing remains with you from this drivel, may it be this: What is a government that does not adhere to laws of its own making?

Ted Cruz doesn't remember me. I remember him, though, when he and Sen. Mike Lee came to the Veteran's March in October of 2013. They stood in the rain right along with us and spoke words of encouragement. I would wager that both men could've been ninety-nine other places that morning, but instead they chose to join us. When Cruz announced his candidacy, I was happy.  More liberty swirling in the pot is always a good thing.

I was a bit hesitant, too. Why should I vote for him and not Rand Paul? How resolute is he? Will he be the tip of the spear or just another splinter off the handle? Only time will tell, but in the interim I can tell you what I want from Ted Cruz:

Enough is enough. Stop it. Restore the rule of law and respect our founding principles. It's We The People, not Us The Government. I not only want you to follow the Constitution, I want you lead us back to it. We're not some two-bit banana republic, we are The United States of America. We're free men and women, we pledged our very lives and signed our own death warrants just to make it so.

I want a President that's proud of our country. When I was a kid, Reagan kissed the flag. Now I get one pedantic lecture after the next on how misguided and flawed we are. How about this: I want to hear how exceptional we are. We've cured diseases, connected the world, walked on the moon, put a robot on Mars, and guess what? You aint seen nothin' yet. 

I want a President who protects our friends and destroys our enemies. A President who champions the free market, not the bread line. A President who doesn't read my mail, listen to my phone calls, @#$% with my taxes, lie as sport and then call me a domestic terrorist. A President who doesn't separate us by the things which make us different, but unites us with the one amazing thing we all have in common.

Do all of that and more, and you have my vote. And hopefully that of a hundred million other me's.

No comments:

Post a Comment